Millions of Americans suffer from the aching, burning, tingling, and cramping associated with arthritis. As joints deteriorate over time, they can become fluid-filled and develop uncomfortable bone spurs where cartilage once provided cushioning. This debilitating condition causes loss of form and function in the joints of the:
Regardless of whether the arthritis is degenerative and age-related (osteoarthritis) or inflammatory and auto-immune (rheumatoid), arthritis sufferers must manage the pain and compromised function that accompany it.
Simple Pain-Relieving Tips
The Arthritis Foundation recommends several easy ways to soothe arthritis pain. Drs. Andrew Winger and Frank Rossi of Redondo Family Chiropractic suggest you incorporate them into your everyday routine.
- Develop a regular exercise routine with the help of a physical therapist or your Federal Way chiropractor. Physical activity builds muscle to support aching joints and also alleviates accompanying depression. Aerobic exercise such as walking, golf, and swimming gets the blood circulating but does not jar tender joints.
- Maintain a sensible weight. Exercise controls weight as does a healthy diet. Extra weight compresses painful and deteriorating joints. Small diet and activity changes pay big dividends in overall pain relief.
- Take analgesics as recommended by a physician. Over the counter ibuprofen or acetaminophen are helpful before an activity as are topical preparations such as capsaicin.
- Apply heat or cold to painful joints. Both are therapeutic, so see what works. A hot bath soothes aching joints, and paraffin wax treatments alleviate the discomforts of the hand or foot. Ice bags reduce swelling.
- Use assistive devices as needed. A simple straight cane or wheeled walker takes some of the pressure off hips, knees and back, in addition to providing an important measure of stability.
Don't Give Up
Andrew Winger DC and Frank Rossi DC of Redondo Family Chiropractic Inc. encourage you to consult them regarding an arthritis pain regimen. Their comprehensive chiropractic services include management of:
- disc injuries
- leg, back, arm and neck pain
- nerve impingement
The entire team at Redondo Family Chiropractic focuses on more than symptom relief. These experienced chiropractic professionals aim for whole body health for each patient.
Learn more by arranging for a personal consultation with Dr. Winger or Dr. Rossi. Call (253) 394-6977 for an appointment.