An estimated 55 percent of men and 78 percent of women over the age of 20 are not getting enough calcium in their diets.
The following are a few strategies and tips to help you meet your calcium needs each day:
- Use low-fat or fat-free milk instead of water in recipes such as pancakes, mashed potatoes, pudding and instant, hot breakfast cereals.
- Blend a fruit smoothie made with low-fat or fat-free yogurt for a great breakfast.
- Sprinkle grated low-fat or fat-free cheese on salad, soup or pasta.
- Choose low-fat or fat-free milk instead of carbonated soft drinks.
- Serve raw fruits and vegetables with a low-fat or fat-free yogurt- based dip.
- Create a vegetable stir-fry and toss in diced calcium-set tofu.
- Especially for lactose-intolerant patients: Complement your diet with calcium-fortified foods such as certain cereals, orange juice and soy beverages.