Posts for tag: Whiplash
Dealing with aches and pains after a car accident? Consider turning to a chiropractor.
Nothing is more frightening than getting into a car accident. The first thing everyone does is to check and make sure they are okay. Depending on the severity of the accident some people may only walk away with visible cuts or bruises; however, as our Federal Way, WA, chiropractors Dr. Andrew Winger and Dr. Frank Rossi can tell you, it’s impossible to see the damage that’s been done to the musculoskeletal system.
Whiplash, or neck pain, is the result of the neck being suddenly and violently jerked out of place. It’s one of the most common injuries after a car accident and it requires proper care and treatment to facilitate fast, efficient healing. Common symptoms of whiplash include:
- Neck pain
- Limited range of motion
- Pain or numbness that radiates to the shoulders and arms
- Headaches, often behind the eyes
Why do these symptoms occur? Well, when whiplash happens it can shift spinal vertebrae out of place, which you might imagine can lead to some pain and stiffness. While neck pain and stiffness can be brought about by everything from sleeping in an awkward position to emotional stress, whiplash is caused by an injury that requires treatment. It’s not uncommon for those with whiplash to experience pain, numbness or tingling that radiates to the head, shoulders, arms or even legs.
Treating Whiplash with Chiropractic Care
So, what makes chiropractic care a good choice for someone dealing with whiplash in Federal Way, WA? There are several different techniques that we can employ that can help alleviate symptoms and actually help promote the body’s own natural healing response. Common chiropractic options include:
- Spinal adjustment (also known as spinal manipulation): During this technique, a chiropractor will apply specific pressure and force to move the joints of the spine back into alignment, which will not only reduce pain but also promote blood flow to the area for more efficient healing. By realigning the vertebrae of the spine we can also take excessive pressure off certain nerves that may be causing your pain, tingling or weakness in the shoulder, arms or hands.
- Stretching and muscle stimulation: During this chiropractic technique we will stretch certain affected muscles within the neck and shoulder to help reduce tension and tightness, helping the muscles to naturally and gently relax. Sometimes this technique is combined with trigger point therapy to reduce myofascial pain and dysfunction.
There are a variety of different techniques, treatments and exercises that we will prescribe to you based on your specific symptoms, the severity of your whiplash and your overall health assessment to help you find the relief you need.
Redondo Family Chiropractic in Federal Way, WA, is here to provide you with a wide array of chiropractic care and treatment plans that can be tailored to your specific health needs. Call our office today to learn more about what we can do for your acute or chronic symptoms.
What your chiropractors in Federal Way, Washington want you to know
If you’ve been in an accident, you may not have painful symptoms right away. One of the most common conditions associated with an accident is whiplash, and whiplash signs and symptoms may take up to 24 hours to develop. Your chiropractors Dr. Andrew Winger and Dr. Frank Rossi at Redondo Family Chiropractic in Federal Way, Washington want to help you determine if you are suffering from whiplash.
Some common signs and symptoms of whiplash include:
- Stiffness and pain in your neck
- Neck pain that gets worse with movement
- Headaches starting at the base of your skull
- Pain in your arms, shoulders or upper back
- Numbness or tingling in your arms
- Dizziness or fatigue
Whiplash is the result of your neck and head suddenly being forced backwards and forwards. Sometimes you can alleviate whiplash symptoms by doing a few simple things at home, such as:
- Resting for at least 24 hours and putting ice or heat on your neck
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory or pain medications
- Gentle stretches by tilting your head from side to side
- Shoulder roll exercises or gently bending your neck forward
If you begin to experience the signs and symptoms of whiplash, your chiropractors in Federal Way can help. They offer a full range of chiropractic services to alleviate your whiplash pain. They may suggest:
- Massage and manipulation to relieve tense muscles, and reduce swelling and pain; these techniques will improve your joint function and range-of-motion.
- Traction for stretching
- Excercise for strength
For more information about whiplash injuries and treatment, please visit the whiplash page on the website at http://www.redondofc.com/federal-way-wa-whiplash.html
You don’t have to suffer from whiplash pain when help is just an easy phone call away. Your chiropractors can relieve your pain so call Redondo Family Chiropractic in Federal Way, Washington. Call today and feel better tomorrow!
Discover how chiropractic care can target and treat your whiplash problems.
Whether from a sports injury or car accident, whiplash can happen to anyone. Whiplash is the result of a forceful and sudden jerking of the neck that can cause the muscles and tendons to stretch and even tear, leading to pain and stiffness. If you are suffering from whiplash find out how our Federal Way, WA chiropractors, Dr. Andrew Winger and Dr. Frank Rossi, can help you.
Of course, not all whiplash injuries are the same, so the type of treatment you receive from our chiropractic office in Federal Way will depend on some variables. However, the main goal of any whiplash treatment is to detect and treat any dysfunction to eliminate pain and other symptoms.
The most commonly used chiropractic techniques for treating whiplash include:
- Chiropractic adjustment/manipulation
- Muscle stimulation
- Stretching/Strengthening exercises
- Lifestyle changes (e.g. ergonomics)
One of the most popular ways to treat whiplash is with spinal or chiropractic manipulation. By applying gentle thrusts to the affected joints we can improve their mobilization and range of motion and improve your body’s alignment.
By stretching the muscles gently we can improve tension and dysfunction in the affected neck and shoulder muscles. If the muscles are extremely tight, the stretch we perform will need to be more extensive. Through gentle finger pressure we can help relax these tense muscles.
Chiropractors are also fans of incorporating different stretching and stabilizing exercises into your daily routine to target pain and other problems you’re having. When you come in to see your chiropractor in Federal Way for a consultation, we can show you different exercises that are designed to correct the way you move through your daily activities. This treatment is also designed to teach the nervous system how to better control movement to reduce neck muscle problems.
It’s important that you share with us your typical routine and activities, as some of these may be exacerbating your neck problems. By improving your posture, helping you employ stress reduction techniques and even changing your office chair to improve your body’s alignment we can reduce your whiplash symptoms.
From whiplash to sports-related injuries to on-the-job accidents, Redondo Family Chiropractic Inc. in Federal Way, WA is ready to provide the unique chiropractic care your body needs to heal and feel great again. Call us to schedule your appointment today!
Find out more about whiplash and what your Federal Way chiropractor can do to help.
Have you recently been in a car accident? If so, you may have started to notice that your body has developed some rather unpleasant after effects of the sudden and traumatic impact. In fact, it’s fairly common to come away feeling rather sore and stiff after an automobile accident. It’s also not uncommon to experience whiplash, as well. Whiplash is an injury to the neck or cervical region of the spine that happens with the soft tissue has been hyperextended. Find out more about whiplash and how your Federal Way chiropractor can help reduce your whiplash symptoms.
How does whiplash happen?
During a car accident, the sudden impact or force of being struck by another vehicle or object is often strong enough to cause the muscles and tendons in the neck to hyperextend or twist into unnatural positions. While making sure your headrest is properly adjusted can go a long way to protecting your head and neck during an accident, if the headrest isn’t properly placed you may stretch your neck past its normal limits in the throes of the accident. While many people can recover from whiplash, sometimes it can cause permanent damage.
What are the symptoms of whiplash?
- Neck stiffness
- Numbness or pain that radiates from the neck to the face or shoulders.
- Extremity pain
- Pain when moving the arms or your hands.
Many symptoms of whiplash will go away on their own after a couple of weeks and most people can make a full recovery after a few months.
How can my Federal Way chiropractor treat whiplash?
While there are certainly some things you can do in the comfort of your own home to reduce your symptoms we are also here to help speed up the healing process. While some patients may benefit from wearing a cervical collar to limit movement of the neck muscles, this should only be worn for a limited amount of time and is only recommended for acute forms of pain.
- Most patients find some relief from whiplash pain using over-the-counter pain relievers like Tylenol or Advil.
- Ice painful regions of the neck for the first 72 hours after your injury to keep swelling down.
- Talk to your Federal Way chiropractor about light stretching exercises you can perform each day.
If you have just gotten into a car accident and are experiencing neck problems, then it might be time to see your Federal Way chiropractor at Redondo Family Chiropractic, Inc. for fast, effective relief.